The area of Drysdale River Station was first taken up in January 1882 by the Victorian Squatting Company. Regretfully, this company is best known for their failed attempt to settle at Camden Harbour in 1864. A most beautiful book was available, 'Bradshaw Art of the Kimberley' by the late Graham Walsh. Regretfully, only a small number were printed and the book is now a hard to find expensive collectors item.
The Drysdale River was named in 1886 by Charles Burrows during an exploration of the area on behalf of the Victorian Squatting Company.
The lease was next taken up by Captain Joe Bradshaw. Bradshaw took up the lease of a large area extending along the Prince Regent River and he intended to establish a cattle station. It was during his attempts to reach some of his leases on the Prince Regent River overland, that he first saw and recorded in April 1891, the style of rock painting now known as Bradshaws. As Bradshaw was unsure of his exact location at the time of recording, it took until 1998 for these particular paintings to be found again. Bradshaw had his own ocean steamer, the Red Gauntlet and he sent Mr. Aeneas Gunn ahead by sea, to build stock yards ready for his herd (Mr Gunn's wife Jeannie wrote the famous novel "We of the Never Never"). Bradshaw went to bring his herd of cattle from Queensland, but on reaching the border between the NT and WA he was met by a party of police who informed him he must pay one pound per head tax to bring each animal into WA. Bradshaw refused to pay, turned his cattle down the Victoria River and took up land there instead. His successful station was then known as Bradshaws Run, now Bradshaw Station.
In 1967 the lease was taken up by Dick Condon, he had a vision and put a large amount of time and money into the place. Sadly the cattle prices were not favourable and, added to the then time required and high cost required to truck out cattle, he made the decision to sell the station. The high cost to get things both in and out of here, the providing of own power and water supplies plus many other high expenses makes the running of these places far more costly than most people realise.
The whole area has been and still is, subject to many mining exploration leases. Miner's Pool got it's name because Stockdale Prospecting had a long term base camp set up there in the early eighties.
After Dick Condon sold out, the station had overseas ownership. No money was put into the place and it was very run down with almost no plant or equipment by the time we came along.
Drysdale River Station is a family owned, family operated, million-acre working cattle station. 2021 will be our 35th year here, making our family by far the longest resident leaseholder since this land was first released. As we have no intention of departing, we hope you get to visit us and to enjoy the wonderful North Kimberley.
Please Note: Regretfully, we are unable to offer